Last week I was asked to create some content for an energy provider. It’s not a subject I could write freely about or whip something up from the top of my head so I had to have a bit of a trawl through the internet & pick some brains before I was certain enough to click publish.
Firstly, did you know that 4 million households are living in ‘fuel poverty’ & often having to choose between ‘heat or eat??’ That is almost 5% of our country. Not a fact to be proud of.
On par with costings, green energy is most important for me when searching for a provider.
One of the first things I came across when scrolling the Our Power website was a long list of ways to save energy in a way that was totally understandable. *Helpful when you still blame a baby brain on your 3.5yr old… 🙋🏼♀️
For interesting example-
- Turing your thermostat down by just ONE degree will save you £75. What??!
- Turning off plug sockets rather than leaving them on standby will save you £50. GAH!
- By swapping all your halogen bulbs to LED’s you’ll save £40. Doing it now!?!!!
- By setting your hot water & heating to a timer you’d save £150. Booking a holiday as I type!!!!
- Use a washing up bowl instead of running water, you’ll save £30. As if!!!!
- ONE single minute less in the shower will save you £10. Who needs showers anyway??!!!
- Setting your washing machine to 30degree rather than 40degree will save you £6. And less risk of shrinking your knits… 🤷🏼♀️🙌🏻
Technically, the less power we use, the less money energy companies make but Our Power is Not-for-profit & rather than its earnings being divided between shareholders, they’re invested into low earning communities. Boom.
It is also a registered ‘Living Wage Employer’ which you may have heard me banging on about recently. It’s means that every single one of its staff are paid above the amount it takes to live free of poverty in London or other areas of the UK taking into account inflation, food costs, rent & mortgages etc etc.
This only means you can heat your home & it’s residents happily…
Our Power’s newest project the +IMPACT Tariff lowers its prices the more customers it has & for every new home that switches to the plan, you help heat a lower income or fuel poor house for an extra 54 days of the year. AMAZING.